Jean-Marie Eveillard presented his in-depth investment thesis on Q&A Session at Asian Investing Summit 2015.
The following are selected Jean-Marie Eveillard quotations from the full transcript.
- “Today, I’m particularly intrigued by the Tokyo stock market where it seems to me that the government has taken steps.”
- “China reminds me a little bit of India in the early 1990s…”
- “I have two problems with India today… The stock market is expensive, although not like Tokyo in 1988 and 1989. I’m sure there are opportunities here and there, but overall the stock market is very expensive…”
- “In Asia, I’m intrigued by the Philippines and by Indonesia. Again, it seems to me that steps have been taken there in both countries. The consequences for investors in equities could be quite positive.”
- “One should keep an eye on a country like Brazil, because sometimes you have a combination of stock markets going down and the currency going down. At some point, it creates opportunities… That’s true of Australia as well. There are a number of countries involved in commodities.”
- “I love the [Korean] preferreds…”
About the instructor:
Jean-Marie became a senior adviser to the First Eagle Investment Management Global Value team in March 2009 and now serves as board trustee to First Eagle Funds. From 1993–2004, Jean-Marie was the lead portfolio manager for all of First Eagle Investment Management Global Value investment strategies. He left these duties on December 31, 2004 but continued to serve as a senior adviser to the Global Value team, and returned as lead portfolio manager and head of the team in 2007 until Matt McLennan became head of the team in September 2008. Jean-Marie started his career in 1962 with Société Générale before relocating to the United States in 1968. Two years later, Jean-Marie began as an analyst with the SoGen International Fund. In 1979, he was appointed portfolio manager of the SoGen International Fund, later named the First Eagle Global Fund. Jean-Marie was named Morningstar’s International Manager of the Year in 2001, and in 2003 received a Lifetime Achievement Award from Morningstar for building one of the most successful long-term records in the investment business. Jean-Marie is a graduate of Écoles des Hautes Études Commerciales, a French graduate school for economic studies.
Members, log in below to access the full session.
Not a member?
Thank you for your interest. Please note that MOI Global is closed to new members at this time. If you would like to join the waiting list, complete the following form: